You are here:
- 500 gms Basmati rice
- 500 gms large prawns shelled and deveined
- To marinate prawns: 1 cup yogurt
- Juice of 1 lime/ lemon
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsps garlic paste
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- Salt to taste
- To fry: 4 large onions sliced thinly (divided into 3 equal portions)
- 3 large tomatoes chopped finely
- For dry masala/ spice mix: 4 tbsp coriander seeds
- 2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp saunf/ aniseed/ fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp khus khus/ poppy seeds
- 2″ piece of cinnamon
- 5 cloves
- 5 pods green cardamom
- 10-12 black peppercorns
- 2 dry red chillies
- For wet masala: 2 green chillies
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- To garnish: 1 tbsp saffron strands
- 3 tbsps warm milk
- 3-4 tbsps fresh chopped coriander
- 4-5 tbsps cooking oil
- Wash the rice. Soak it in warm water for 30 minutes.
- Cook the rice till almost done. Drain remaining water (if any) and keep aside.
- Marinate the prawns in the ingredients mentioned under “To marinate prawns”.
- Take a large, deep baking dish/ ovenproof dish (it MUST have its own cover) and grease lightly with cooking oil.
- Layer the rice and prawn as follows: rice – prawn – rice. End with a layer of rice.
- Pour the saffron infused milk all over the top of the last layer of rice.
- Garnish with the crispy fried onions, chopped coriander leaves. Cover the dish and seal tightly.
- Bake in a hot oven for 30 minutes.
- Serve hot with a raita and green salad of your choice.
View other recipes
Back to Recipe Page